Monday, January 10, 2011

Honours Reward Chapter 2 - Honouring Parents

The word "Honour" was expounded on in chapter two and I found it very extremely enlightening. Also extremely challenging, in a good way.
"The simplistic and literal definition of honour is "a valuing."
When you speak of the word honour to a Greek man, he thinks of something valuable, precious, weighty, such as gold. Think of it-you don't put gold in your junk drawer; rather you assign it a place of honour. Other definitions of honour are appreciation, esteem, favorable regard, respect.
Sometimes to better understand a word, look at its counterpart. The antonym of honour is dishonour. The Greek word is atimia. Some of its definitions are: to not show respect or value; to treat as common, ordinary, or menial. When you speak of dishonour to a Greek man, he would think of something common, light, and easily done away with, such as vapor. A stronger form of dishonour is to be treated shamefully and even humiliated."

Through this section especially, God challenged me; "Do I hold my parents up in highest regard with honour? Or do I ultimately treat them with dishonour, if not in word or deed but in my heart?

This is the biggest thing for me since in the outward sense, to other people I would seem to be honouring to my parents. However God does not judge from the outward, God judges the heart. (1 Samuel 16:7)
Do I truly honour those God has placed over me? Do I hold them in highest esteem as I would gold or silver? Do I appreciate them not for what they do for me but for who they are in my life - My parents. The very fact that God saw fit to give me to them is enough of reason alone to honour and respect them. For by honouring them I am honouring God's decision and choice for me in this life.

I know all too often I treat them with disrespect maybe not in the outward sense but most definitely at times in my heart. I treat their advice especially at times as "easily done away with", "menial", "common". Not a good thing.

We see the weight God puts on honouring parents alone in Exodus 21:17; "Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death." And also in Leviticus 20:9; "If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother, and his blood will be on his own head."
Pretty hefty punishments there in the old law regarding the dishonour of ones Father and Mother. Through these scriptures we can see God's heart on the matter quite clearly and the bible says "He does not change, He is the same" (Micah 5:2) so its safe to say that He still holds the same value on honouring parental headship. If its this important to Him, it should be this important to us.

So to wind up my findings in chapter 2 I would say that God has definitely highlighted my need for first honour and respect in the home. Change has to begin within before we can start taking it out into the world and impacting others lives ("..You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much..." Matthew 25:23). Especially in the area of honouring parental headship. It is probably the most crucial step in our journey of learning to honour even though to our generation it would seem to be the least important.

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth this is a great review. I love way you express yourself towards your parents, the words and advice of honoring ours parents is really amazing thanx and a good job.

    ReplyDelete